Space Heater Safety Tips for the Workplace in Crestview?
Space heaters take the chill out of offices in the winter mornings. Our local Crestview, DeFuniak Springs, and Chipley team wants everyone to be safe around heating equipment and offers these space heater safety tips from Travelers Insurance:
Employers without a formal policy prohibiting space heaters should provide guidelines for safe use.
- Use of space heaters should not be allowed unless supervisor or management approval is provided before use
- Units that have been listed or labeled by a nationally recognized testing laboratory such as UL (Underwriters Laboratories), CSA (Canadian Standards Association), or ETL (Intertek) should be the only space heaters permitted for use
- Keep at least 36 inches of clearance around every space heater and only use them in areas free of flammable liquids and easily ignited or combustible materials
- Proper placement of the space heater is important. Be sure it is not in a high-traffic area or where it may become a tripping hazard.
- If using an electric space heater, ensure electrical cords and plugs are not frayed or damaged. Always plug the heater directly into the wall outlet, and be sure the power cord is not crossing a walkway. Never use extension cords or power strips, as these could overheat and lead to a fire.
- Space heaters should be turned off when the employee leaves the room or area of the heater and unplugged at the end of the day
Call Us Today!
When your commercial business or home in Crestview has fire damage, our Crestview, DeFuniak Springs, and Chipley team can help. Call us today at 850-772-0686.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.